Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Straight Bangin' challenge - Burnso... Wins



Yesterday, citizen Joey Straight Bangin' put out a call to prayer, distilled in the following excerpt:
I'd like to see if we can't create an internets top-25 rap albums list. I would use a simple weighted scoring system to rank the records. Albums placed at #1 would receive 25 points; those at #25 would get 1 point. I'd take the mean average of each nominated record and divide it by total votes received. The records that received the 25 highest vote totals would get slotted onto the list in order of average points, from most to fewest.
Seeing as it's my turn, I'll go. I hark on a couple of points made by my compatriots.
Firstly, Skinny's reference to the paramount rule of NOT justifying choices was like a "thank fucking god" to me because it takes out a basic insurance policy against anyone saying "...because it was that hot shit and mad dope..." and because any hip-hopper worth their salt ought to know the bulk of those 25 albums and place their own rationale on to them.

GentleWhoadie brings up a point of singles being (somewhat) unfairly clipped. There's def. some old school singles that aren't gonna get run because of the disco mentality that still gripped hiphop. Rapper's Delight the album isn't a fantastic album. Cool Herc never even dropped an album. Therefore this compendium loses tread as a "what made hiphop" analysis. Hiphop rose out of disco and late funk (both single-driven genres by that point: nobody posts a top 25 disco album list) and house/block parties fueled by sound systems of Jamaican ancestry (dub was THE single based genre). Given the single's seminal role and that this is an album list, I think that whatever my list is going to be, it's probably going to focus on records that exemplify, rather than helped to define rap. Illmatic comes higher than Criminal Minded on mosts people's lists, I bet you. However, I'd like to mention one single that changed the game before I commence with my list because it deserves its shoutout.



NOW ON WITH THE LIST!

1. Wu Tang Clan - Enter the Wu Tang: 36 Chambers

2. Nas - Illmatic

3. Organized Konfusion - Stress: The Extinction Agenda

4. Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus

5. Black Moon - Enta Da Stage

6. Notorious B.I.G. - Ready To Die

7. A Tribe Called Qwest - Midnight Marauders

9. Common - Resurrection

10. Black Sheep - Wolf in Sheeps Clothing

11. Smiff-n-Wessun - Da Shinin

12. GZA - Liquid Swordz

13. Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle

14. De La Soul - Buhloone Mind State

15. Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back

16. RUN DMC - S/T

17. Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Blackstar

18. Big Daddy Kane - Long Live the Kane

19. Aesop Rock - Float

20. Artifacts - A Rock and a Hard Place

21. Das EFX - Dead Serious

22. Cypress Hill - S/T

23. Ras Kass - Soul on Ice

24. Pete Rock - Petestrumentals

25. Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique


Obligatory Honorable Mentions: There are so many records with one or two songs, where I skip a few of them but love the singles. I'd rank Jeru the Damaja - Sun Rises in the East, Redman - Muddy Waters, Onyx - Bacdafucup, The Pete and C.L. albums etc... There's records where the collective of them outstrips any one album, such as KRS One's output, sundry Madlib productions, the D.I.T.C. stuff, NYC indieground circa Fondle 'Em, etc... Lastly, fun spinnable extended play stuff, like Mantronix - The Album and Just Ice - Cold Gettin' Dumb.

Sweet! My list is done! I disagree already!


GW9K's list can be found here. Skinny's list can be found here.

Labels: , ,