Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Tip drill



I saw the Byron Hurt PBS jawn last night Hip Hop: Beyond Beats and Rhymes- a documentary about masculinity in hip-hop and masculine charicatures of black males. It was reasonably well done but not a huge revelation (for me at least). I'm sure it was "useful" to PBS-watching middle-aged liberals who had never thought too seriously about this before, and I'm sure some felt their prejudices confirmed. (Eddie Murphy white voice: Why can't all black guys be like that Michael Dyson?) However, it did prompt me to want to write about some of hip-hop's more quixotic, puzzling and troubling characteristics. Furthermore, I think the frame of the documentary can be expanded to the blogosphere, where some of these issues have been raised before and discussed with varying degrees of insight and intelligence.

I have to chew on this one for a while.

Check back for more later.

P.S. For anybody who saw the documentary, how about when Busta Rhymes, when asked about homophobia in hip-hop, decided to go politely Tim Hardaway and then excuse himself from the room on some 5th amendment shit?

P.P.S. Jadakiss looked like he was going to turn into the Tasmanian Devil at any point during his interview.

Labels: